Camping "Dickson" Style

If you have read my blog from the start then you have read my camping story from last year with reference to our camping story from a couple of years ago. Here is the link if you want a good laugh
And if you have read these then you know that we consider ourselves camping cursed.
When I told Jeff and Melissa Dickson our friends and neighbors they decided to take it upon themselves to prove me wrong.
Last weekend we went up to Strawberry Reservoir to camp "Dickson Style". I say that because I was raised that when you camped you camped in a campground or KOA with running water and a bathroom that at the very least had flushing toilets and sometimes a shower. The fire pit was made out of cement and if you got the right campground it has a covered picnic table.
To camp "Dickson Style" they go as far away from a campground as they can get, there are no such things as toilets or tables, and the fire pits are just holes surrounded by rocks. (To be honest what we did wasn't even considered true Dickson style camping at all. They said that we were too close to the major road and where we stayed was even too much like a campground for them)
Having said that though, I have to now say that we had the best time camping "Dickson" style!!!
We didn't really do much but sit around, relax, talk and spend time with friends and family. But we loved every minute of it. Our big events were a drive through the trees where the kids could reach out and grab leaves off the trees. We went for a very short fishing excursion. It didn't last very long because it got really hot and we lost all our hooks at the bottom of the lake. :-[
And Mikayla got to shoot her very first shot gun and I shot my very first hand gun.
Here is Mikayla shooting. It was a small gun that is Aubrie's gun.
Here is the can that Mikayla actually hit. It was a nice lesson for my kids that guns are not toys. They all came away from the experience with a healthy respect for guns. Which was what I was going for.
Here is Troy shooting it. You can see how small it is.
This is what happened to Aubie's can when she shot it.
After I shot the hand gun the girls wanted to see if they could find the bullets. Here they are trying to dig them up.
I want to thank my parents for letting us use their camper,



it was very comfortable and we will never go back to a tent. Of course Jeff and Melissa had to show us up and this is what they decided to bring. . .I won't complain because we ended up having a toilet for one of the days, and for that I will be forever thankful!

Thanks Dickson's for such a great weekend. We loved getting to spend time and have fun with you guys!!!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Way fun Erin! yeah, I'm with you on the camping thing. When greg and I were dating he asked me if i liked to camp. I said ,"heck yes." Mind you I was 19 so camping to me was showing up in the trailer, sleeping in while daddy cooked & having fun. Then, we were married & went camping & it wasn't as much fun when I had to do all the packing, cleaning, and cooking. I think i got it down though. Greg's trying to put together a ward campout. Would you guys come?

Erin said...

We would come for sure!!!

Amber said...

That sounds so nice. In my single years I loved camping far away from civilization, maybe even hiking in, with no bathrooms and stuff but turns out the only way I can get my other half to camp is in a camp ground with a poddy near-by. You'd think it would be the other way around. So now-a-days, I'm happy to get out at all. Glad you guys had fun . . . and you and Melissa were very cute in your lesson and I needed it BADLY that day so THANK YOU!