Our Last Day in France

On our last day in France we decided to go and see the roman ruins in a little place called Arles. Back in the day when the Romans ruled the world they built a Colosseum in Arles and it still stands today. It is still used now for bull fights. I was shocked to walk in and see numbers painted on this ancient rock. Troy and I decided that if this were in the US we would have built a building around it and no one would be allowed to walk on it for fear it would erode even more. It was so neat to be able to see some Roman history and french history all melted into one. We walked up to the top of the (mini) Colosseum and looked over the city. It was a beautiful way to end our trip. A neat little side note is that Vincent Van Gogh spent a lot of time here in Arles because he loved the look of the city. The famous painting called "The Night Cafe" was of a cafe in Arles.

Me in front of the ruins of the Amphitheater just down from the Colosseum. They just finished the long process of uncovering the ruins.
The people built their homes and eventually the town right on top of it. They still hold concerts here! I can't believe how little it seems like they care about these places. But I guess if you have it you might as well use it, right?
This really was an amazing trip and I want to say thank you one more time to my mom and my sister for making it possible for me to go. And that I finally got to see why Troy being gone so much can actually be worth it. :-]

1 comment:

Tiffinee said...

Love that 5th shot down, great architectual pic. Still....so jealous!!