Ok to continue with our 1st day adventure after we came back from seeing the Chateau D'If we went on a tour of Marseille which stopped at the Notre Dame De La Garde
which is a basilica in Marseille France. It is located on the highest point in all of Marseille and there for you can see it from everywhere. It was built between 1853 and 1864. It was built to watch over the sailors. It is incredibly ornate and beautiful inside. I didn't understand most of the symbols and things inside but I did understand it's beauty.
On top of the building is an enormous statue of Mary and Jesus. It was the biggest gold statue I have ever seen.
This is a picture of the statue on top of the building. I hope you can tell how enormous it is



This is a picture of the ceiling. I was so taken with it I had a hard time looking at anything else.
These pictures are of Vieux Port, from the stairs of the Notre Dame with Troy and Me standing on the stairs. It is just stunning. I was amazed at the history that was staring back at me. Also that you can have a building that has been around for hundreds of years that has an electronics store in the bottom level. The differences in the building and what it housed were striking. 

These are some of the buildings that are around Vieux Port which I thought were so neat and I so wish we had buildings that looked like that here in the USA
which is a basilica in Marseille France. It is located on the highest point in all of Marseille and there for you can see it from everywhere. It was built between 1853 and 1864. It was built to watch over the sailors. It is incredibly ornate and beautiful inside. I didn't understand most of the symbols and things inside but I did understand it's beauty.
On top of the building is an enormous statue of Mary and Jesus. It was the biggest gold statue I have ever seen.
This is a picture of the statue on top of the building. I hope you can tell how enormous it isThese are some pictures of the inside of the building. It was stunning



This is a picture of the ceiling. I was so taken with it I had a hard time looking at anything else.


These are some of the buildings that are around Vieux Port which I thought were so neat and I so wish we had buildings that looked like that here in the USA
This is a picture of Nouvelle Cathédrale de la Major. I don't know much about it because we couldn't go inside but I do know that it was the biggest church in Marseille and it was very ornate even on the outside. I wish I could have seen the inside. The little speck in front is me and Troy.

While walking around Marseille to see all of these fantastic places I was struck with how beautiful this city was. Even the clothes hanging out on the lines added color that I sometimes think that our cities lack. The people were overall extremely nice and patient with me and my broken french. I loved the time we spent here.
1 comment:
Unbelievable!! Amazing pictures! It's my dream to go there someday. Niether of us have been to Europe, and we would love to go so much! I am so excited for you!! Looks like you had a wonderful time!
Post a Comment