Christmas Eve with the Beardall's

We started what I hope will be a new family tradition this year. My brother in law Zach has a family cabin up Big Cottonwood Canyon. My other brother in law Quinn thought that we should head up there the night of the 23rd for a big family sleep over and sledding. It was a blast! I had to beg and borrow from my friends and family (thanks again everyone, you know who you are) for all the winter gear needed for the kids and me. We aren't really outdoors enthusiasts. Zach built a great luge that started just outside the door to the cabin. You can see the start at the top of this picture where the tubes are. It went around the trees and ended just past the cabin. Sam wanted to go down over and over and over. He outlasted both his older sisters and a lot of the older cousins. He loved it!
This is a picture of the beautiful scenery that was just outside the door. It really was amazing to be there, cold, but really amazing. Here are the kids getting their beds ready. They all slept (or stayed awake) in the same room. they loved it.
Here is Morgan, Owen and his cousin Caleb. He was really excited to be able to have Caleb with him for a whole night.
This is my mother in law. She is always trying to make sure our get togethers are perfect. Even in some people meaning me were extremely nervous about driving up the canyon when there has been a recent snowfall. Ok I will just say it. I don't drive in the snow. Well I do when I have to but I hate it!! And that canyon is crazy and has hair-pin turns and drop offs. I was really nervous but I did it. We made it too and from safely and we had a great time.
This is my sister in law Shelley getting the games ready to distract the little ones while Quinn got the fire going.
Speaking of, here is Quinn getting the fire going! That was a saving grace. When I got in the car the next morning my thermometer read that it was -2 degrees outside! BRRRR!! If you look you can see the "big screen TV" that Zach rigged up for us. We spent the night watching Christmas movies and laughing and talking. Nothing better then that. (I say that a lot I have realized!)
I am hoping that we will be able to do this again this year before the snow melts. Zach wasn't able to get up there until late and Troy didn't get to go at all so I think that is reason enough. AAANNNNDDDD I wanna go again!
The next morning we all went home and showered (some of us napped) and then met and did a sub for Santa for a family. It was so neat to be able to do this as a family. To watch the kids forget themselves and do something good for someone else. All in all we had a great Christmas eve with the Beardall's

No comments: